Chicago Wills Lawyer
Your last will and testament is an extremely important document whether you have moderate assets or substantial wealth. If you have children you wish to provide for or specific wishes regarding who will receive money and property upon your death, having your will drafted professionally is essential. The issues at hand are simply too important to rely on do-it-yourself legal kits or a lawyer primarily focused on unrelated practice areas.
When to Consult a Chicago Wills Lawyer
- You have questions about your will or other options for leaving your property.
- You expect to leave a very large amount of assets and they may be subject to estate tax unless you engage in tax planning.
- Rather than simply naming people to inherit your property, you want to make more complex plans — for example, leaving your house in trust to your spouse until he or she dies and then having it pass to your children from a previous marriage.
- You are a small business owner and have questions as to the rights of surviving owners or your ownership share.
- You must make arrangements for long-term care of a beneficiary — for example, setting up a trust for an incapacitated or disadvantaged child.
- You fear someone will contest your will on grounds of fraud, or claim that you were unduly influenced, or weren’t of sound mind when you signed it.
- You wish to disinherit, or substantially disinherit, your spouse. It’s usually not possible to do this if your spouse objects, but a lawyer can explain your spouse’s rights.
There are many excellent reasons to get a dependable Chicago estate planning lawyer and draft a will that reflects your current situation and intentions.